A few minutes walk from our apartments you will find the amazing Church Pub. In the centre of the pedestrian-only shopping area you will find an old church which has been preserved and partly transformed into a pub, cafe and formal dining establishment.
The parish of St Mary’s was founded in 1697 and work on a church began almost immediately. By 1702 construction work was completed and the finished building incorporated magnificent classic church architecture which included the first church gallery to be seen in Dublin. The church served the spiritual needs of local protestant population for almost 300 years before falling attendances lead to its closure. In 1997 publican John Keating began a careful and tasteful refurbishment to transform the building into a cafe bar. All of the original classic features including organ were beautifully preserved to be enjoyed by modern-day visitors.
The Church has a very interesting menu and we particularly like the large finger-food platters which are ideal for a group to share while enjoying a pint. Also the Church has an excellent traditional Fish and Chips meal.
Be sure to find
- The bust of Arthur Guinness – he married his wife Olivia Whitmore here in 1761
- The Baptismal Font – playwright Sean O’ Casey (The Plough and the Stars) and politican Theobold Wolfe Tone (founder of the United Irishmen Party) were baptised here.
- The organ which was played regularly by George Fredrick Handel (The Messiah) when he lived in Abbey Street beside our Shamrock apartment.
The Gallery Restaurant is open 7 days from 17.00 to 23.00 serving a full a la carte Table D’hote menu.
When entering The Church be sure to ask for the self-guided tour brochure and the staff will be glad to facilitate your exploration. The Church caters for approx 600,000 visitors per year but its a big place and rarely feels overcrowded. Former US President Bill Clinton has enjoyed a visit there and the Church staff have photos of his visit.
To get to the Church
- From our Parnell Quarter apartment its 4 minutes walk.
- From Shamrock apartment you can be there in 2 minutes.
- From Bachelors Walk and Temple Bar apartments its a 5 minutes walk.
- From Smithfield Penthouse and Derrynane Square you can be there in under 20 mins. For a totally different dining experience we recommend it.